Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Vintage Butterfly Lace Tutorial


Good morning, Melanie Muenchinger here! I liked this new tutorial so much I had to share it two places, my blog and the Idea Center! Here is another way to use the butterfly from my new set from Gina K Designs "Make a State-ment", which coordinates with my "Stately Flowers" series.. When I was stamping out my pendant last week, I couldn't help but notice that the scalloped edge of the wings and tiny dots along it looked a lot like an intricate lace border! I love the look of lace on cards, bu don't have any. So away with the black ink and I got out my Versamark pad and clear embossing powder. Isn't that pretty! The way the top of their wings is so flat makes it a great trim and border for the side or bottom of a card. The small butterfly from this set just fits inside each pair to make the smaller scallop.
This photo shows it and the smaller butterfly stamped in Versamark onto Gina K Pure Luxury White and embossed with clear powder. TIP: Whenever you are going to create a border out of a stamp element, it's best to start by stamping in the middle of your mat, then stamping on either side. This way you don't have a full butterfly on one end and just part of one of the other, and you don't have to measure! Repeat these steps on the other side of the mat.


Sponge distressing ink over, here I used Vintage Photo. Isn't that gorgeous how the design pops? Doesn't it look like real lace? (I gotta say, it turned out even prettier than I imagined it would!)
Last I added a flower and greeting from "Stately Flowers 2", and another cut and colored butterfly. I used a Petite Oval and Labels 14 Nestabilities to make the label. Use Stardust pens to trace the details in the images for some extra sparkle! Card base is Pure Luxury Ivory.

You can create this butterfly lace with so many different embossing powders or inks for different looks as well as stamping in dark ink on dark paper. In ink, the details will be more crisp and the butterfly will be more noticeable, but with the puffiness and dimension of the EP, you hardly see the butterfly and just see "lace". I think I feel some black lace over red coming on for Valentine's day! You can also trim around the scalloped edges to create another layer. Look for more samples and variations using this technique coming up, as I want to try this a million ways now! This butterfly just became one of my favorite images! :)

Thanks for reading! Please link this tutorial to share with others if you found it helpful! I would love for you to visit my blog so I can share more tutorials like these with you!

3 comments:

Cheryl Wright said...

Love what you've done with the butterfly stamp. I would never in a million years thought of using it in that manner!

Kay said...

The lace is absolutely breath-taking. I see so many uses for this effect. Love the Vintage Photo distressing ink. It all works so well together.

Betty said...

This is BEAUTIFUL. I just LOVE your stamps and ideas. I can't wait to get my stamps and my book. Thank you so much. And God bless you!